Turn your garage into a home office or design studio…
YOU WILL NEED:
– 1 x double garage
– 1 x builder or DIY enthusiast
– paint and willing painters
– 160 or so carpet tiles
– large 2m high bookcases
– selection of furniture and accessories
WHAT TO DO:
1. Disconnect electric garage door from power source, and detach door from runners. Dismantle and remove runners from wall and ceiling and store in roof space for re-instatement later if desired.
2. Have builder create new false wall in front of existing garage door, line cavity with insulation and build banquette seating in front with hinged lid for lots of practical storage space!
3. Also create new 2m high wall to hide laundry and bike/surfboard storage behind. Line studio side of new wall with bookcases fixed to new wall framing for stability and earthquake proofing.
4. Remove existing broken venetian blinds. Apply 2-3 coats satin white paint (we chose Resene Alabaster) to all walls and ceilings, then gloss white enamacryl to all window frames.
5. Crawl around on your knees for approx 3 hours laying carpet tiles with Interface “Tac-tiles” (plastic stickers to attach carpet tiles to each other, but not to the floor – so you can lift and re-use elsewhere later!)
6. Add new roller blinds, squabs, cushions, desks, table, chairs and computers… arrange as desired, and voila!